Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Spring Break Camping Continued

Hubby and I woke up just after dawn, I tried to convince him to go down to the bird watching deck with me but he was still tired so we cuddled back up and got up when my parents got up around 8:30. My dad made us all pancakes for breakfast, pancakes are even more yummy when camping. After breakfast we hopped on our bikes and rode to the bird watching area. A large great blue heron was guarding it's nest and we watched it run off several other herons. After it ran off the intruders it came and sat in a tree over us giving us a good stare. We decided to give it some room so we rode to the jetty.
My new flip flops, Hubby and I both got new pairs since his fell apart and the kitten mauled mine.

The weather was cool and cloudy so the beach was deserted. I burn like a red head so I was glad of the cloud cover. 
 I recently found these nice bike pants at Goodwill. They are amazingly comfy, well made, and don't ride up thanks to the grippie elastic around the calves. I love when I can find nice athletic gear used/secondhand because I have a hard time affording it new. You can't really see it but I also have a nice bike jersey I picked up at Salvation Army for super cheap. My whole outfit cost about $10.
Bandanna's are a great helmet hair saver. I think I picked up this cute one at a craft store.

The beach is covered with rosemary

Hubby and I sat on the rocks and watched boats go by while we smoked a cigar. St Andew's has done lots of work lately and one of the new things they added was a store at the beach. I was able to pick up some post cards to send to my niece, a patch to add to my collection, and ice cream.
Hubby got a classic ice cream sandwich and I got my very favorite, a strawberry shortcake bar.
 On the way back to camp we stopped by Gator Lake. The only gator we saw was this cute little 3 foot guy. We hiked the trails around the lake in hopes of spying some larger gators like we did last year but we didn't see any.

After our hike it was just about time for lunch so we returned to camp. After lunch we look a ride into town from the park, we did about 6 miles but didn't find anything interesting other than a pawn shop we picked up several DVDs at. After a nap and dinner we rode to the beach to try to see the sunset,  while we waited we watched the paddle surfers. We didn't get to see a sunset, the clouds were too thick and all we saw was a line of pink.
St Andrew's is known for it's beautiful emerald green water

Since the sunset was disappointing we rode still to watch deer. No sign of the buck but we did see several does.

Thursday night the wind picked up and tried to take our tent. We were staked down but we almost lost our fly, the wind kept picking it up like a balloon, it make it very hard to sleep. Early in the morning it started raining. Even though we have a pavilion we set up over our tent we still started getting water coming in through the zipper. Luckily we knew the rain was coming so the interior of the tent was already packed up. When the rain slowed we got out and took down the tent and folded everything up. We joined my parents for a quick cereal breakfast then packed up and headed out. We would have liked to have stayed through Friday and into Saturday evening but the rain chances kept fluctuating between 40-90 percent. 
On the way out of the park we spotted the fawn again. We stopped so I could hang my head out the window to get a quick picture.

When we got home Hubby had to pull out all our gear to rinse it off and let it dry in the sun before packing it up properly. I think I'm finally done with laundry and unpacking all the gear bags. This trip combined with the con really took a tole on my body, I'm still sore but I'm working through it. Next trip I must remember to bring sneakers to bike in, my ankles are mad I did 12 miles in flip flops.

Some Bunny Loves Ya!